- PhD in Cell, Molecular and Developmental Biology
- BS in Biology
Genomics and Epigenomics
- Genomics and Epigenomics of complex human diseases including PTSD, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, and Alzheimer's Disease using cross-sectional and longitudinal experimental designs
- Correcting for and experimental design to overcome multiple testing, confounders, and batch effects using Bayesian and frequentist methods approaches
- Reproducible, scalable analysis using workflows on cloud- and cluster-based systems on terabyte-scale datasets
- Using evolutionary genomics to identify causal human variants
- Statistical modeling
- Addressing confounders and batch effects
- Reproducible research
- Parallel and Cloud Computing
- Inter-process communication: MPI, OpenMP, Hadoop
- Filestorage: Gluster, CEFS, GPFS, Lustre
- Cloud based-infrastructure: Azure, AWS, Docker, cloud-init
- Debian GNU/Linux system administration
Mentoring and Leadership
- Mentored graduate students and Outreachy and Google Summer of Code interns
- Chairperson of the Debian Technical Committee
- Head developer behind https://bugs.debian.org
- Languages: perl, R, C, C++, python, groovy, assembly, sh, make
- Collaborative Development: git, travis, continuous integration, automated testing
- Databases: Postgresql (PL/SQL), SQLite, Mysql
- Strong written communication skills as evidenced by publication record
- Strong verbal and presentation skills as evidenced by presentation and teaching record
Research Scientist at UIUC
- 2015–Present. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Epigenetic modifications associated with PTSD, the genomic basis of the development of parturition in mammals, and detecting adverse pregnancy outcomes using urinary exosomes.
Postdoctoral Researcher at USC
- 2013–2015. Identifying genes and causal alleles associated with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus using genome-wide association, next-generation sequencing, computational and biochemical approaches.
Postdoctoral Researcher at UCR
- 2010–2012. Identifying genes which are associated with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus using prior information and targeted trio-based studies.
- 2004–Present. Debian Project, Developer; Technical Committee Member (2010–2016), Technical Committee Chair (2015–2016).
- Debbugs: Bug tracking software for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. https://bugs.debian.org
- CairoHacks: Bookmarks and Raster images for large PDF plots in R.
- Function2Gene: Gene selection tool based on literature mining which enables Bayesian approaches to significance testing.
- Helical Wheel Projections: Web-based tool to draw helical wheel protein projections. http://rzlab.ucr.edu/scripts/wheel
Publications and Presentations
- 20 peer-reviewed refereed publications cited over 1700 times: https://dla2.us/pubs
- Publication record in GWAS, expression analysis of microarrays, epigenetics, comparative evolution of mammals, and lipid membranes
- H index of 11
- Multiple presentations on EWAS of PTSD, genetics of SLE, and Open Source: https://dla2.us/pres
Funding and Awards
- 2017 R Consortium: Adding Linux Binary Builders to R-Hub Role: Co-PI
- 2015 Blue Waters Allocation Grant: Making ancestral trees using Bayesian inference to identify disease-causing genetic variants Role: Primary Investigator
- Tracking placenta and uterine funciton using urinary extracellular vesicles (R21 RFA-HD-16-037) Role: Key Personnel
- NIAMS R01-AR045650-04 Genetics of Childhood Onset SLE to Chaim O. Jacob. Role: Key Personnel
Scholarships and Fellowships
- 2001--2003: University of California, Riverside Doctoral Fellowship
- 1997--2001: Regents of the University of California Scholarship.
For my contact information or additional references, please e-mail email@example.com